Friday, February 14, 2014

Love Day


"It's everything I wanted--to be a mom. But it's just so hard. Hard to do it alone. The mess the stickiness, the crying. Books about ducks wearing yellow rubber boots. It's all of it by myself. But the hardest part isn't any of that stuff. It's when the amazing things happen. It's when Beth first stood. I just wanted to look over and share that moment with someone who loves her just as much as I do, but no one's there."--Ms. Corcoran, Glee Season 3 Episode 4.

I watched this episode of Glee sometime last year. It wasn't a huge, significant part of the storyline, but for some reason it poked a hole into my heart and has stayed there since. I realized I have what this character so desperately wanted and I take it for granted too many times. I also realized that her words hold truth for so many people around me, it's heart wrenching. I think there is a part of all of us that desires this kind of relationship, whether it be with a spouse, a parent, a sibling, a friend. There is something significant about sharing experiences without ever needing to exchange words. Words can cheapen the most sacred moments because their weight aren't always ample enough to convey the density of living out real life. The people you can share these rare moments with are few and far between--but they make all the difference in the world.

As we celebrate Valentine's Day today, we become keenly aware of where on the spectrum of relationships we fall. Holidays can be like putting on a pair of eyeglasses, you think you are seeing everything fine until the day comes and suddenly so does clarity. For those of us who find we are marinating in the richest blessings of life, Valentine's Day is a beautiful reminder to cherish and savor. To love our people well and to feel extra loved. To embrace the idea that we are capable of doing, not slaves to doubting. We were made to love, so we will love passionately. We have been given much, so we can give more.

For some, Valentine's Day is a cruel reminder that there is no one to share those silent moments with. If there is a void in your heart where someone used to be or where someone never was, if you are grieving loss or agonizing over an argument or are feeling completely alone in a world full of chaos, this day might not bring with it all the Hallmark glamour it seems to call for.

I was at an open gym for Jace today and I watched him from afar as he went down the slide by himself. When he got to the bottom, he had a tiny smirk that soon faded away. It was nothing compared to the squeals of laughter and joy that leave his body when I'm right there at the bottom waiting to catch him. Sometimes, we just need to know there's someone at the other end of the slide to share the moment with us--whether full of joy or full of pain.

I hope you find that person/people today and celebrate what you have because it is rare, and special and unique.

If you can't find that person today, open John 15:13 where Jesus says, "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends..."

He gave His life for you. You are seen. You are heard. Your silent moments are being shared.

He is at the bottom of your slide.

Today and everyday,

you are loved.










 

No comments:

Post a Comment