Saturday, March 12, 2011

(Thank you Google for your image)



I had a dream 2 nights ago. There was a world-wide earthquake. The ground beneath all of us was shaking. It felt like we were falling off the planet. Like it was no longer our stability. And my friend and I prayed.


I woke up to find that Japan had been hit with an 8.9 earthquake. And as the events unfolded throughout the day I just kept thinking how crazy it all was.Wondering how truly chaotic it must be to be over there. How the country was literally shaken to the core.


I then read a Facebook post by a friend that said 'Japan is one of my favorite places I have ever traveled, with the nicest people in the world! So sad to see all the devastation there.'


Suddenly, it went from thinking of this country as a whole being devastated, but I saw individual faces. God sees individual faces. Not the country of Japan in shambles, but each individual life. Each individual need.


And then I broke.


I hate thinking of people as groups. It makes the world so much more beautiful when you see individual people. With individual hurts, and problems, and lives lost, and love lost. We are just people. Poor or rich. We all have hurts. And loves. And fears. We are individuals. And compassion comes stronger for individuals, rather than groups.


Thank God that He sees me as an individual person. Not just an American. Not just a girl. Just an Indian. Just a Washington resident. A Husky alum. A sister. A daugher. A wife. A friend.


His compassion exceeds the box that human nature puts us in.


Praising Him today for seeing hearts and not crowds.

3 comments:

  1. It's through identifying "individuals" that we relate to one another. What better place this world would be if we could relate to each other as individuals and not group each other based on skin color, national political boundaries, appearances, or religious beliefs. I have so, so much to say about this profound, yet simple, notion. I'll email you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written. I agree with you (and Sid). We all have been put into "boxes," but Jesus sees through those boxes and knows us all intimately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, this is Dan. I just wanted to say your writing is amazing. It always was. I stumbled across this by googling your name. Yes, a bit strange but I was bored and couldn't get back to sleep. I will leave my email, I would love to catch up. Say what's up to your Dad for me. dan.qse@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete