Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Boy or Girl?

Baby Barton from the outside at 13 weeks

There has been a lot of talk around the gender of Baby Barton. Some strong theories have been presented along the way, most of which have nothing to do with anything.

Here are some of the things I've been alerted to:

-Baby Barton is a boy because you are carrying it all in the front.

-Baby Barton is a girl because you are obsessed w/ sugary sweets

-Baby Barton is a boy because the Chinese calendar says so

-Baby Barton is a girl because you were sick to your stomach in the first trimester

-Baby Barton is a boy because we need one more boy in the family to complete the starting line-up for our future basketball team

-Baby Barton is a girl because little girl clothes are way cuter than little boy clothes

-Wait, maybe the Chinese calendar said girl

-Wait, maybe you are carrying it all around, not just in the front

-Wait, I was more sick with my boy, not my girl

So to all you who have been guessing and giving me every reason in the book as to why it is whatever gender it is...you have a 50% chance of being completely wrong.

During our last ultrasound, where I was asked to go in to check for TWINS because I'm HUGE (there is only one in there no worries), our ultrasound tech gave us her guess as to this little baby's gender.
Until it's confirmed on July 6th, I'll let you all continue on with your scientific explanations of why it's a he or she. But just remember...

...you have a good chance of failing.

And Baby Barton, no pressure. You come out being whatever God made you to be. We'll welcome you with open arms, whether the next ultarsound shows us something extra, or the absence of something extra. But if you do have that something extra, you might be stuck with the name Billy Bob... Billy Bob Barton... my brain has come to a boy name block.

Baby Barton from the inside at 13 weeks. Was a very wiggly baby, even waved at us! It had hit Owen and I like a ton of bricks to see our squirmy wormy baby moving about. I almost started sobbing, but refrained. I was so overwhelmed by the miracle of this tiny little life. We are now at 16 weeks and waiting for 'the feeling'...I should start feeling him/her any day now!

5 comments:

  1. can't wait, can't wait. tad or mekendi. so sweet. you and owen are going to rock at parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics! Tad, we will love you no matter whether you are a boy or a girl and we absolutely cannot wait to meet you!! But my money is on girl because boys are taking over this family and Shifa needs a girl on her side. Plus the boys need to learn that a girl can be on the starting line up too... duh. :) Love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still sticking with "Girl". My scientific explanation.... "I see a picture of your brushing your daughter's hair"... remember that?!?! I have God on my side ;)

    Boy or girl, all I know is Baby Barton is supposed to be on this earth and God chose some pretty amazing people to watch over and raise this little person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. have conducted some scientific tests and believe to have an answer to your conundrum. The other night, while walking home, I witnessed the most beautiful leaf I have ever seen- green with hints of orange/yellow. It floated down from the tree and landed with the stem facing southwesterly. And at that very moment, a bird with two functional wings flew over my head in a northerly direction. The Indo-Canadian-Chinese-Jesuits say this is a very good omen.  Perplexed, but strangely acute to my surroundings, I continued to walk in circles pondering what had just happened. What did it mean? "Baby Barton, Green leaf, baby Barton, green leaf, bird, bird, baby Barton..." The words flew through my head as I tried to make sense of the world and scientific evidence.  Then the litmus test of all litmus tests occurred, confirming my initial hunch. Just as I was walking past a pond, I saw a fish swimming in the water!!!  A fish in water is a good sign, they say!!!! The leaf, the bird, southwesterly stem, functional wings, fish in water, northerly flight- Lisa, you and Owen are having a baby human being! This is a scientific fact! Congratulations!  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...*ALL* those theories you mentioned in your blog sound awfully a lot like Katie. I think SHE came up with every one of those theories. Especially when you said, "The Chinese calendar says it's a boy...or did it say a girl?" Totally Katie.

    Sid--hahahahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete