Sunday, March 3, 2013

Hot Chocolate 5K

So, one day, I was innocently minding my own business when my email pinged me with a new message that read "Hot Chocolate 5K Registration Confirmation". I was confused, and had every right to be, because I NEVER SIGNED UP FOR ANY 5K. Turned out, Melissa, took it upon herself to sign me up without my knowledge. While part of me wanted to beat her up, the other part of me was relieved because I don't think I would have ever signed up on my own.

I know 3 miles isn't that big of a deal, with everyone doing marathons, triathlons  and Ironman these days, but for me 3 miles is a BIG DEAL. Even back in my athletic prime, I was always a sprinter. Short distances I owned. Long distances owned me. Like, they had the ability to take my life.

So, until about a month ago, I had never run probably more than a mile without stopping, in my entire life. And now all of a sudden, my lungs and legs worked up the ability to keep pushing through. It's been such an awesome challenge for me, physically yes, but mostly mentally. The first time I ran 3 miles, I had to picture myself in labor and tell myself, if my body had no choice but to survive THAT, I could surely run 3 miles.

So, on to race day. Last night was a torrential downpour and I saw no sign of escaping it by morning. This morning we woke up to blue skies and a beautiful, sunny Seattle. 6:45 was early, but so worth it. The route through Seattle was absolutely beautiful as we got snapshots of the sun reflecting off the water and as a backdrop to the Great Wheel. We also got to run through a tunnel that had been closed down just for us! It was such an awesome experience. I'm so proud of my girls and had so much fun getting to do something like this with them. This definitely won't be the last time!

And I guess I can find it in my heart to forgive Melissa:)





1 comment:

  1. hahaha. Love it! And I am so glad that you got to experience crossing the finish line... it still makes me want to cry each time. :) Until next time my friend.... :)

    ReplyDelete