Friday, May 31, 2013

Being a Champion

Today has been one of those days. The second Owen closed the door and walked out of the house I realized I had 9 more hours until he returned again. NINE. HOURS.

I sat on the stairs staring at nothing, while Jace played with his toys and I thought about the next 9 hours and all the things I didn't want to do. I didn't want to take a shower. Didn't want to clean. Didn't want to wipe Jace's snotty nose 8,000 more times. Didn't want to feed him or myself. Definitely didn't want to work out. I looked at the random toddler shoe on our console table and knew that in 9 hours, it was still going to be sitting there because I didn't want to move it.

At some point during all the staring, I realized that the day was going to happen whether I liked it or not and I could choose to be a loser or a champion. I chose champion.

Somehow, I managed to get myself to workout. Jace's new favorite thing to do while I do crunches, is sit on my stomach yelling 'Bike! Bike!' And out of the 1,000 times during the day I ask for a kiss he only complies about 1% of the time. For some reason, while I was working out, he wanted a kiss every. five. seconds. And I never even asked. But, my workout got done. Somehow. Despite all the adversity. Champion.

Then, I sat on the couch and stared at the wall some more not wanting to do anything. Jace is super good at entertaining himself, so he kind of encourages my laziness. I figured that I needed to do at least one thing today that made me a good mom, so I decided to read him a book about shapes. If I died today, I wanted people to at least be able to say "she was a good mom. There's evidence that she was educating her child. What a champion." The only thing he gleaned from this book about shapes was that there were eyes in the book. Yes. I would say "circle" and he would point to a person's eye and say "eyes". "Square". "Eyes". "Triangle." "Eyes!" I don't even care. I'm glad he knows what eyes are. I'm a champion mom. Put it on my tombstone.

The snot. The snot would not stop. It's green and thick and crazy. And does snot stink?? Something stinks, I thought. He had 2 baths yesterday, so it couldn't be him, unless it's the snot. Maybe it's me. So, I got my lazy self to take a shower and I put my pajamas back on when I finished. That's what kind of day it is. Nothing says 'ambitious' like putting your pajamas back on after taking a morning shower. Champion.

And then I found THIS!




My 1.5 year old child thinks I'm so lazy he went and found our duster (don't even know where that was, good find, buddy!) and was sweeping our floors with it mumbling something under his breath. I think he was telling his toys how pathetic his mom is and how he has to do everything around here. Or something.

Ohmygosh. TGIF. We'll try again tomorrow. No, no. Tomorrow's Saturday. All bets are off. We'll try again on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment