Monday, January 31, 2011

Our Wedding

6 months ago today...

I woke up with my bff, Amy, beside me. Well actually, I didn't sleep much because she was kicking me all night...or maybe it was nerves.

My dad prayed for me one last time before I wasn't all his anymore. While my mom cried.

I got my hair done and at the last second decided to put in a clip my mom gave me. It ended up being one of my favorite things in pictures.

4 people had to dress me. 

2 people had to help me go to the bathroom at all times.

My feet were killing me.

It was perfect weather.

I was airbrushed.

Samantha fed me cheese and crackers against my own will.

Chinu thought I was getting too much attention.

My stomach went through waves of peace and calm to waves of butterflies and nausea.

I was afraid Shifa would protest.

I was nervous we were behind schedule.

I saw him.

The heels of my shoes sank into the grass.

Everyone told me to stick my chin out and not be so afraid to look like I like him.

We forgot to tell the ring bearer to show up for pictures. So he didn't.

We forgot to tell Owen's out of town family to show up early for pictures. So they didn't.

We gathered in a room and watched through the window as people arrived.

8 groomsman told me I was beautiful. In some form or other.

I breathed in and out. In... and out...

My baby cousin (not so baby anymore) said "Lisa" and that was all he could say with tears in his eyes and his voice as he hugged me. It was the first time all day I had to choke back the tears.

My brother said "I Love You" in sign language right before he walked down the aisle.

The bridal party left me 2 by 2 and I suddenly felt so proud and overwhelmed by all of them.

I heard the song "You're beautiful" and for a split second, it was just me and God. Saying it to each other.

I've never seen Westgate Chapel look more beautiful.

My dad put my hand in Owen's.

I made the biggest promise I've ever made. And I did it in front of my high school friends, college friends, church friends, family, strangers, co workers. And I didn't cross my fingers.

I took communion for the first time as his wife.

We signed the papers to make it official like a referee with a whistle.

I was greeted by a mob. People from Washington, Oregon, California, Texas, Colorado, New York, India. We were ready to party!

We sat in the back of an old  Rolls Royce while the driver talked to us about his life. The whole time. Like. The whole time.

Strangers stuck in traffic honked their horns and whistled and shouted. I loved the world and everybody in it.

We stopped by Volunteer Park.

We arrived at the Sheraton and I left him for my girls one more time.

They were all dressed in Indian attire. Stunning. 

I reapplied my makeup and had a glass of champagne.

The DJ announced the couples. And 2 couples danced out to the reception with no music on. Hahahhaha.

I caught a glimpse of the dimly lit room. My stomach did a somersault. It was perfect. It was gorgeous. To the last tiny detail, it was more than I ever knew I wanted. Katie and her minions.

We came in to our friend playing the dhol. It was pretty dang cool.
We ate. We laughed.

"Unthinkable" by Alicia Keys came on and I looked at Amy and Chinu and we almost cried.

Bina and Nisha had me sobbing.

My brother blasted me.

My brothers and sisters surprised us with the cutest dance EVER! and threw confetti on me. I jumped out of my seat screaming, as my mom screamed at me to sit down because I was blocking her view. Geesh. Sorry, mom! Forgot whose day it was :)

My little men were dressed to the nines.

We danced. We danced. We danced.

The Indian people taught the white people how to 'screw in the light bulbs'. It was like the feast at Plymouth Rock all over again.

People were sweating more than I thought humanly capable.

I said good-bye to 4 of my closest friends, knowing I wouldn't see them again until Christmastime.

But, it was magic.

It was all magic.

Hard to believe it was 6 months ago. All my dreams came true. Everything in life suddenly made more sense. Every person I loved rejoiced and celebrated with us--and I loved them more than ever that day. Every pain in life was suddenly worth it --because days like this existed. Every happiness paled in comparison.

It was just 6 months ago when they first called me "Mrs. Owen Barton".

July 31st, 2010. 

Heaven on earth.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! How are you going to top this blog for your 1 year anniversary?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, that's exactly what I was thinking the whole time I was reading. Gave me some good laughs!! Loved being there and loved hearing your perspective.



    Beautiful friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was the best day. I loved seeing you so happy. AND.... i love having minons. :) And geesh... ya how are you gonna top that for 1 year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa!! You captured such a beautiful day so beautifully here! Cool to hear it from your perspective. Congrats on 6 mos!! Sorry I wasn't there to walk over to your house with a celebratory bottle that I drank myself while you cooked for me. It is tradition after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Lisa! while reading I was smiling the whole time, you made me laugh and cry :) I love you and your Mr. Barton so much! Happy 6month Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Lisa. Such a beautiful look into your heart.
    Thanks for sharing these moments~the meaning is not to be missed. I am not worried that by one year you will have another batch of insights that will be precious. So happy for you and Owen. <3 Ginny

    ReplyDelete