Friday, May 4, 2012

Little Life Lessons

Matthew 7:9-11 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"


When you hang around an infant all day, the Lord finds creative ways to speak to you. It's been interesting around our house lately, ever since Jace's acid reflux went away, he no longer cries when we try to feed him, but he now cries right before we feed him. The second he sees his bottle he is a HOT MESS because he absolutely has to have it RIGHT. NOW. 


The walk from the kitchen, where the bottle is warmed, to the bedroom where he drinks his bottle, is probably about a 20 second walk. But for Jace, it's an eternity. There is always a mini freak out session involved. 


I've never withheld his bottle from him. Every time I've warmed up his bottle I have ALWAYS given it to him. 10 out of 10 times he has been given his bottle to drink after it has been warmed up, and yet still, something in him panics...does he REALLY think I won't give it to him? Have I ever done anything to make him not trust me?


I was thinking about this the other day when Matthew 7:9 came to me. I love Jace so much I would never withhold good from him. I will never let him go hungry. I will never warm up the bottle and not give it to him. The ESV commentary on Matthew 7:9-11 says "Earthly parents have an innate impulse to do what is best for their children, yet they are flawed...and the quality of their parenting does not match God's."


How many times have i panicked? Have I really truly believed that God didn't have my best interest at heart. That He wasn't going to give me His absolute best? Even when He has never, not once let me down. 


If God loves me more than I love Jace, then I can trust Him. There is no reason to panic. He has never warmed up the bottle only to keep it from me. The walk from the kitchen to the bedroom might sometimes feel like an eternity, but He has always pulled through with His very best. 10 out of 10 times. 




Pre-bottle face






Post-bottle face

3 comments:

  1. Lisa! I love this and it's a beautiful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! So wise. And cute pics of Amazing Jace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great writing lisa! xo

    ReplyDelete